JOIN THE TEAM!
We are pleased to invite you to apply for membership to the Mountain Rescue Service. The Mountain Rescue Service provides specialized technical teams who volunteer their time and expertise in the service of hikers and climbers who need assistance, in and around the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The team is ‘on call’ 24 hours per day, all seasons, with volunteers being mobilized for a full range of incidents: complicated multi-day and nighttime searches in the depth of winter throughout the White Mountain National Forest; technical rope rescues on the region’s many rock climbing cliffs; and lift evacuations at area ski resorts.
Requirements for team members include the following:
- Resides in or near the Mount Washington Valley
- A year-round climber who is competent leading/on-sighting 5.9 traditional rock climbs, NEI 4 ice climbs and moderate alpine terrain.
- Comfortable undertaking multi-day trips on the harshest days in a winter alpine/backcountry environment.
- Wilderness First Responder certification or the equivalent
- Avalanche safety education
- Owns gear for search and rescue work in all seasons (including sub zero arctic conditions) including avalanche safety equipment, a clothing layering system, ice and rock climbing hardware, footwear, camping gear, etc.
- Available 24 hours/day for search and rescue calls
Applications for membership are reviewed annually, and positions on the team are offered on an as-needed basis. After applying, the most fitting candidates will be added to the MRS team call list for a several month trial period and, based on the applicant’s ability to work with the rest of the team members and perform in the field, will become part of the permanent team.
Please contact us with any questions or for more information. Thank you for your interest in our team.
* Required Question